Fiona's Life and Times

Friday, April 21, 2006

Can I drink your salad?

Fiona has become extremely interested in things that other people are putting in their mouths. Last night, I was sitting on the sofa, I had been feeding her and eating bon-bons (I know, but I'm addicted, I can't help myself). Fiona saw my candy and decided she was done eating and instead she wanted to sit up so that she could better explore the candy in my hand. It was about all I could do to keep the rest of my candy out of her mouth - she grabbed my thumb and my pinky finger (one in each hand) and forcefully steered my hand (candy and all) towards her mouth. I managed to pop the candy into my mouth before it ended up in hers, but I was worried there for a minute.

Then at dinner, I was eating a chicken caesar salad. Fiona watched me from Auntie Gae's lap for a while, but she kept reaching for me and being "ignored" until she finally started fussing and reaching, so I went and got her. She sat on my lap while I tried to finish my salad. First she tried to commandeer my fork, but when that didn't work, she grasped the table firmly and pulled herself up to it, then reached for my salad bowl, got a good grip and maneuvered it right to her mouth until she was sucking on the rim (luckily the salad dressing didn't reach quite that far up). And when I tried to wrest it away from her, she took her right hand off the rim and wrapped her arm around the back of the bowl to hold it firmly to her mouth. In the end, I actually needed assistance to pry her off the bowl. Too funny!

We went to a La Leche League meeting last night. It was interesting. Fiona fell asleep in the car on the way over, so I took her into the room in her car seat, letting her nap. She woke up during the introductions section and looked at me like - "How could you let me sleep through something like this? I'm missing EVERYTHING!" I grabbed her out of her car seat and went to potty her. We managed to EC well during the meeting and she was dry the entire time (while other mothers either let their kids audibly pooh in their diapers and sit in it or changed their kids on the floor throughout the meeting - I suppose their advantage was that they were in the room through the whole meeting, while I was making trips to the bathroom with my 5 month old). In general I learned a few things about fore-milk and hind-milk...and uh, how to deal with teething babies who are nursing, but other than that, it was a long meeting. Once the meeting was over, I got to chat a bit with a woman from Seattle named Carla. She was nice, she hasn't even had her baby yet (due in June), but I liked her anyway (grin).

Fiona was tough to put to sleep last night - it was after 11 pm before she would consent to close her eyes without kicking her legs constantly like she was swimming across the English Channel. When the alarm clock went off this morning at 5 am, I was sad and slept in until 6:45 am, if you can call that sleeping in.

It was interesting seeing other 5 and 6 month old babies at that meeting last night. I don't spend a lot of time wondering about whether Fiona is meeting the milestones for her age group. She is who she is and we love her just the way she is. So last night was a bit of an eye opener. Fiona sat on my lap, facing the group and just was taking everything in. She wanted to stand on my lap at times, she wanted to touch the people around her, she fell in love with the little girl next to us and would try to pet her every chance she got. The other kids her age, they were all laying on their mothers laps or laying on blankets on the floor. One six month old was actually swaddled. I was a little surprised. And when I said that Fiona's very clear in her communications when she's hungry, everyone looked at me like, "Sure she is."

I don't know that I'll attend that group again, but Carla said she's attended the group in Fremont and it's very different, so I might try that...maybe, we'll see.

posted by Chaos @ 2:54 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?

Previous Posts

  • Fiona - Future Cheerleader?
  • Easter Weekend
  • Diaper Free! Part Three, but who's counting.
  • Weekend Photos
  • Big Weekend and Back to Nature
  • Sun and My Favorite Things
  • Fiona - Four Months Old
  • First Visit to the Easter Bunny
  • More Potty Milestones
  • Four Month Check-Up

Powered by Blogger

 

 


Free Hit Counter