So many things to report...8/28-9/6
Okay, just thought I'd break things up a bit so that this wasn't a novel of epic proportions.
Our EC journey is continuing in fine fashion. Even during our trip we continued ECing with success, although we did not bring Fiona's bblp (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) with us, which means we dealt with A LOT of poopy diapers (something we aren't very used to cuz she usually just poohs on her bblp in the morning). Sunday morning, I finally just tried sitting her on the big potty, just sort of hanging her butt over the rim of the seat and she pottied just fine (wish I'd tried that earlier in the weekend, we'd have cleaned up a lot fewer messes).
Dave woke up with her one morning last week and while I was in the shower, he pottied Fiona. Our darling girl wasn't quite awake yet, but she peed, then while attempting to pooh for her dad, she rested her head against his chest and fell asleep - still sitting on the potty. Cutie.
Over the long holiday weekend, Ron and Ellie came over with Max. We all had a pretty good time although the kids seem determined to put each other's eyes out. (I actually visited with Ellie and Max briefly while we were down in Portland for the wedding and at one point, Max was sitting on Ellie's lap while Fiona grabbed Ellie's knees to pull herself up to standing, well, Max wasn't too keen on that, he brushed one of Fiona's hands off his mom's knee - No interlopers here, please! Max was not interested in sharing his mom in any way. He's already a great communicator!)
And we were able to get a good view of Fiona's upper gums - she has managed to cut those two top teeth, but it may be a while before we can get a picture where you can actually see the suckers. They are only just barely through the gum surface.
We had our first "good" choking incident. Fiona is getting more amenable to eating, she has her "self-feeders" (which look sort of like corn on the cob holder thingys) and if the food is good (meaning if it's fruit), she will happily feed herself and open her mouth for the "airplane" spoon (weilded by whichever caregiver is nearby). But she is also pretty good at gnawing on biter biscuits (we have quite an assortment in our cupboard now - regular ones, wheat ones and some other kind, I can't quite recall right now). Well, with her teeth getting to a working level, she managed to bite off and choke on quite a large piece of biscuit. Mom calmly (WAY more calmly than she was feeling) took the high chair tray off the high chair, undid the safety belt, picked up the child and turned her upside down, patting her back (just the way the nurse practitioner told her to) and after Fiona threw up all over Mom, everything was much better. Except Mommy had to go change. But it was easier to find something new to wear, knowing that the kid was breathing again.
I'm sure that I'm forgetting things...I was at Babys R Us on Monday, in the Mothering Room, trying to feed Fiona. There were other moms and kids in there, so Fiona was distracted. I was signing/talking to Fiona - "All Done/Finished" or "More?" and "Milk". One of the ladies changing her son, turned around to watch me, which made me a little self-conscious, but I was trying to communicate with my daughter, so...it wasn't really working cuz Fiona was looking everywhere but at me and my fingers, but I figure if I am persistent, it will all eventually fall into place. Turns out, the lady is hearing impaired and she was actually excited that I am signing with Fiona. It made me feel a little silly being "caught" by a native "speaker" - I hope I was doing things right...at least I'm trying, right?
Fiona has also started doing this totally cute thing, I wish I could get a photo, but I don't know it is possible, cuz it's really the look on her face that is so entertaining. But I often tote her around on my left hip, sometimes she's in a sling, more often than not, around the house, I'm just holding her. And often times I am doing something other than interacting with her when I'm holding her, especially when I first get home from work (where recently she's been greeting me with a happy squeal and a few hand claps followed by her fastest crawl over to me to pick her up). I spend this time catching up with Gae, how did the day go, when did she last potty, when did she last eat, did she nap, how long has it been since she last woke up, did anything major happen that I need to know about (mostly the major things happen with the dog throwing up or eating a whole pound of turkey lunch meat, a pound of american cheese and 4 huge pork chops...or what have you). Well, recently, as I'm talking, Fiona has started lunging her body towards the front of me, bracing herself with one hand on my right shoulder (while holding on for dear life to my left shoulder) and she places her face directly in my line of sight with this look on her face, like - "Hello, I'm right here, would you like to talk to ME for a while? Hmmm?" She's so cute.
And last night, I was sitting on the floor eating two cookies - okay, I was eating one cookie and holding the other cookie "on deck" (it turns out that my job is incredibly stressful and a little sugar helps me - I realize that with that philosophy I'll soon be buying a whole new much larger wardrobe, but right now it's keeping me sane...I think). Fiona, of course, wants the cookies and she keeps pulling up on me and reaching for first one cookie, then the other one, she's not picky. I kept eluding her cookie reaching. So at one point, she had pulled herself up directly in front of me and was reaching for both cookies with both hands...just standing there, all by herself, reaching for the cookies. Gae and I were watching her, the longer she stood there, the more amazed we were because she's had some pretty short "standing" stints which were really more like the calm before the fall, but this was solid. She was clearly just standing there all on her own (screeching at the top of her lungs, I might add). It was pretty cool stuff.
So I'm sure there's more, but I'm going to stop here and sift through all the recent photos I have so I can post some cute ones - cuz I know that's what we really all care about.
Our EC journey is continuing in fine fashion. Even during our trip we continued ECing with success, although we did not bring Fiona's bblp (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) with us, which means we dealt with A LOT of poopy diapers (something we aren't very used to cuz she usually just poohs on her bblp in the morning). Sunday morning, I finally just tried sitting her on the big potty, just sort of hanging her butt over the rim of the seat and she pottied just fine (wish I'd tried that earlier in the weekend, we'd have cleaned up a lot fewer messes).
Dave woke up with her one morning last week and while I was in the shower, he pottied Fiona. Our darling girl wasn't quite awake yet, but she peed, then while attempting to pooh for her dad, she rested her head against his chest and fell asleep - still sitting on the potty. Cutie.
Over the long holiday weekend, Ron and Ellie came over with Max. We all had a pretty good time although the kids seem determined to put each other's eyes out. (I actually visited with Ellie and Max briefly while we were down in Portland for the wedding and at one point, Max was sitting on Ellie's lap while Fiona grabbed Ellie's knees to pull herself up to standing, well, Max wasn't too keen on that, he brushed one of Fiona's hands off his mom's knee - No interlopers here, please! Max was not interested in sharing his mom in any way. He's already a great communicator!)
And we were able to get a good view of Fiona's upper gums - she has managed to cut those two top teeth, but it may be a while before we can get a picture where you can actually see the suckers. They are only just barely through the gum surface.
We had our first "good" choking incident. Fiona is getting more amenable to eating, she has her "self-feeders" (which look sort of like corn on the cob holder thingys) and if the food is good (meaning if it's fruit), she will happily feed herself and open her mouth for the "airplane" spoon (weilded by whichever caregiver is nearby). But she is also pretty good at gnawing on biter biscuits (we have quite an assortment in our cupboard now - regular ones, wheat ones and some other kind, I can't quite recall right now). Well, with her teeth getting to a working level, she managed to bite off and choke on quite a large piece of biscuit. Mom calmly (WAY more calmly than she was feeling) took the high chair tray off the high chair, undid the safety belt, picked up the child and turned her upside down, patting her back (just the way the nurse practitioner told her to) and after Fiona threw up all over Mom, everything was much better. Except Mommy had to go change. But it was easier to find something new to wear, knowing that the kid was breathing again.
I'm sure that I'm forgetting things...I was at Babys R Us on Monday, in the Mothering Room, trying to feed Fiona. There were other moms and kids in there, so Fiona was distracted. I was signing/talking to Fiona - "All Done/Finished" or "More?" and "Milk". One of the ladies changing her son, turned around to watch me, which made me a little self-conscious, but I was trying to communicate with my daughter, so...it wasn't really working cuz Fiona was looking everywhere but at me and my fingers, but I figure if I am persistent, it will all eventually fall into place. Turns out, the lady is hearing impaired and she was actually excited that I am signing with Fiona. It made me feel a little silly being "caught" by a native "speaker" - I hope I was doing things right...at least I'm trying, right?
Fiona has also started doing this totally cute thing, I wish I could get a photo, but I don't know it is possible, cuz it's really the look on her face that is so entertaining. But I often tote her around on my left hip, sometimes she's in a sling, more often than not, around the house, I'm just holding her. And often times I am doing something other than interacting with her when I'm holding her, especially when I first get home from work (where recently she's been greeting me with a happy squeal and a few hand claps followed by her fastest crawl over to me to pick her up). I spend this time catching up with Gae, how did the day go, when did she last potty, when did she last eat, did she nap, how long has it been since she last woke up, did anything major happen that I need to know about (mostly the major things happen with the dog throwing up or eating a whole pound of turkey lunch meat, a pound of american cheese and 4 huge pork chops...or what have you). Well, recently, as I'm talking, Fiona has started lunging her body towards the front of me, bracing herself with one hand on my right shoulder (while holding on for dear life to my left shoulder) and she places her face directly in my line of sight with this look on her face, like - "Hello, I'm right here, would you like to talk to ME for a while? Hmmm?" She's so cute.
And last night, I was sitting on the floor eating two cookies - okay, I was eating one cookie and holding the other cookie "on deck" (it turns out that my job is incredibly stressful and a little sugar helps me - I realize that with that philosophy I'll soon be buying a whole new much larger wardrobe, but right now it's keeping me sane...I think). Fiona, of course, wants the cookies and she keeps pulling up on me and reaching for first one cookie, then the other one, she's not picky. I kept eluding her cookie reaching. So at one point, she had pulled herself up directly in front of me and was reaching for both cookies with both hands...just standing there, all by herself, reaching for the cookies. Gae and I were watching her, the longer she stood there, the more amazed we were because she's had some pretty short "standing" stints which were really more like the calm before the fall, but this was solid. She was clearly just standing there all on her own (screeching at the top of her lungs, I might add). It was pretty cool stuff.
So I'm sure there's more, but I'm going to stop here and sift through all the recent photos I have so I can post some cute ones - cuz I know that's what we really all care about.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home