Emotion and a Few Hairs Cut
Okay, so they weren't Fiona's hairs, but I did cut off almost all of my hair yesterday - that's a weight off my shoulders. I'll post a picture soon. But the real story I wanted to post about was an incident that occurred this morning as I was getting ready for work:
Since it was my first day with the new hair and I knew people would be checking out my new style, I felt the need to get gussied up and actually even wear makeup for the first time since my brother's wedding last year (no wait, I wore makeup to Dave's once upon a time step brother's wedding in February - so lately I've only been wearing makeup to weddings). I was all ready for work (which took longer than usual obviously) and Fiona was hungry - so I told her that I would feed her, but she couldn't spit up on me cuz I was all ready for work.
Well, Fiona is a happy baby, she doesn't cry much. She fusses a little if she's wet or tired and she'll whine if the food gets taken away prematurely. She wails only if she's hungry and we aren't moving on it fast enough. But until today I've never seen her cry due to some emotion she was experiencing.
As I was feeding her, she was not exactly being attentive. On again, off again, smiling at me, giggling, on again, off again, milk dripping down her face, smiling at me. Cute. It finally got to the point where I was pretty sure she was done, so I sat her up to see if there would be whining "I'm not finished" or if we'd get smiles and watching the fan, waiting to see what the day would bring. She sat there smiling...until she burped and spit up ALL OVER ME! I'm sure I made some unintelligible sound of dismay as I pulled her away from me abruptly, hoping to minimize the damage, grabbing for a burp cloth to clean myself up and here is my daughter on my lap with her face slowly crumpling until she lets out this cry that I've never heard before. I clearly scared her with my behaviour and she's sitting there blinking up at me, with tears running down her face like she knew I was upset with her. I felt so bad.
And for the first time, I was able to stop my daughter's crying by consoling her and making calming sounds instead of changing her or providing food. Poor thing. I didn't mean to scare her, I just didn't want to have to change my clothes - luckily for me, the damage was minimal and didn't require adjustment (other than cleaning the spitup off). I'm sure this will begin a new emotional journey for us. I can't wait.
Since it was my first day with the new hair and I knew people would be checking out my new style, I felt the need to get gussied up and actually even wear makeup for the first time since my brother's wedding last year (no wait, I wore makeup to Dave's once upon a time step brother's wedding in February - so lately I've only been wearing makeup to weddings). I was all ready for work (which took longer than usual obviously) and Fiona was hungry - so I told her that I would feed her, but she couldn't spit up on me cuz I was all ready for work.
Well, Fiona is a happy baby, she doesn't cry much. She fusses a little if she's wet or tired and she'll whine if the food gets taken away prematurely. She wails only if she's hungry and we aren't moving on it fast enough. But until today I've never seen her cry due to some emotion she was experiencing.
As I was feeding her, she was not exactly being attentive. On again, off again, smiling at me, giggling, on again, off again, milk dripping down her face, smiling at me. Cute. It finally got to the point where I was pretty sure she was done, so I sat her up to see if there would be whining "I'm not finished" or if we'd get smiles and watching the fan, waiting to see what the day would bring. She sat there smiling...until she burped and spit up ALL OVER ME! I'm sure I made some unintelligible sound of dismay as I pulled her away from me abruptly, hoping to minimize the damage, grabbing for a burp cloth to clean myself up and here is my daughter on my lap with her face slowly crumpling until she lets out this cry that I've never heard before. I clearly scared her with my behaviour and she's sitting there blinking up at me, with tears running down her face like she knew I was upset with her. I felt so bad.
And for the first time, I was able to stop my daughter's crying by consoling her and making calming sounds instead of changing her or providing food. Poor thing. I didn't mean to scare her, I just didn't want to have to change my clothes - luckily for me, the damage was minimal and didn't require adjustment (other than cleaning the spitup off). I'm sure this will begin a new emotional journey for us. I can't wait.


1 Comments:
At 5:09 PM,
Anonymous said…
kerste,
Your Brother here. Thought I'd add a few words on this here blogger thingy you got going fer Fiona. Its fun to read about how things are going with her, and its interesting to hear your thoughts as you deal with your day to day with her. I find alot in common with what were both going through, of course, and it makes me smile. By the way, both Kate and I love your hair. What a difference!! Wishing you the best, and can't wait to see you guys.
Love, the Seekonk Wilcox's
Post a Comment
<< Home